Subscribe by e-mail

Don’t Take All the Credit

swiping a credit card at a retail store

Tom Nurre

I graduated from ASU in 1991 with a journalism degree after spending the first 19 years of my life traveling as an Air Force brat. Besides Texas, I have lived in the Philippines, Iowa, Alaska (twice) and England (twice). After graduating from ASU, I spent 16 years in radio and TV news and sports and in sports PR before returning to ASU for my current job in the Office of Communications and Marketing. My wife, Nana, is an ASU nursing graduate.

You may also like...

1 Response

1. Kevin Fowler says:

I’m a two-time alumnus from ASU, and one of my biggest regrets is not getting a credit card during college and beginning to build my credit score. Instead, I graduated with a moderate amount of student loan debt and virtually no credit history, and it’s taken quite a bit of work to build up a moderately good credit score. That being said, the warnings in this article are well-founded – there are plenty of predatory cards out there seeking to make quick money off of college students.

My best advice to current students would be to do some research on the best credit cards for students (Don’t just google this term, as it will list nothing but advertisements – actually read through some forums such as http://creditcardforum.com/forum/ and see that other college students are saying about particular cards), apply for a good card, charge only a small amount (10-30% – this is the hardest part), and pay off the entire balance every month on time.

A good credit score may not seem important while you’re still in college, but it will save you a ton of heartache and money later. As soon as you apply for an apartment, try to buy a car, or try to get any type of loan, you’ll be glad you put in the effort.