Subscribe by e-mail

Read Like You Mean It

Theatre students read a play.

Dr. John Wegner

Dr. John Wegner is a professor of English and the Interim Dean of the Freshman College at Angelo State University. When he’s not in class or sitting at his desk, he enjoys cooking, eating, and watching sports.

You may also like...

16 Responses

1. Janae Williams says:

I enjoyed this blog. I like the idea of trying to focus more on reading and to see how long it takes before I become unfocused. I feel like that would be a great study habit to get into.

2. DeMarcus says:

In “No One Runs a Marathon on the First Day” usually if you stop in a marathon you’re still going but not as fast as you were going before so when you’re distracted what if you quit. Do you start over or do you start from around you left off? And how can you get back on topic?

3. Hugo Pena says:

Your blog has motivated me to keep on going. School is not really hard its just a matter whether we make it hard or not. This has really made me understand why study in a place full of distractions where I can just go to a quit better atmosphere to study and therefor I can get more of my studies done and pass more.

4. Nicolette Guerra says:

The no one run a marathon on the first day is a really good example of showing how not to rush into something. When you start reading and you get distracted and force yourself to read most of the time what you are reading will not stay with you. Saying that it is okay to pause and start again is letting people know that it happens to everyone.

5. Audryana Mendiaz says:

In the section “Location. Location, Location,” I thought I knew what I was doing when it came to reading for my classes, but after reading this section I have now realized how bad I have been preparing for an exam/ studying. I now know how to improve my studying habits.

6. Ethan Pearce says:

I found this article to be very helpful for textbook reading strategies. The comparisons made between textbook reading and marathon running, and textbook reading and a high stakes event are very accurate, and help you get a better idea on how to approach textbook reading.

7. Gabrielle Munoz says:

I believe this is a very good blog. When you compared reading to a high stake event, I realized that reading is really more important that I may have thought it was. It also will be easier for me to ask questions knowing teachers want them. I guess, that is their job after all, but I never really saw it as that more as interrupting. I found this blog very helpful.

8. Samuel says:

After reading i feel like ill have a better grasp reading. The chapter listening with your eyes was very entertaining, i enjoyed learning about how the rest of your body reacts as you read.

9. Katherine says:

I have seen and read different studies that say listening to instrumental music can help while studying. I have been doing his since I was a sophomore in high school. I have told some of my friends here in San Angelo that it helps and only one of them has tried it, he says that it does help him concentrate on his homework and studying. I have a wide range of instrumental music elections like Harry Potter soundtrack to jazz music and different songs help me with different subjects.

10. octayvia clemons says:

I like the point about how we need to be smart about how we study and where we study. Because when I study I listen to music not saying it helps me study but I just like hearing a noise other than my roommates. What I have learned is when I go to the library and I sit down in the quit section and I plug in my head phones and listen to calming music like jazz or someone playing the piano and not rap music or other kinds of music that is on the radio now and days I learned that I am successful.

11. Coby Mills says:

Well thought out article about how different strategies help one become a more developed reader. There are many useful strategies and examples that help the reader paint visual images.

12. Dart Dodds says:

The section about “Location, Location,Location”, has taught me that it does depend on where i try to study and how it affects my studying. This section showed me that i need to find a good place conduct my study’s to not get distracted. Thank you for the tips on where i could find a good place and make it a habit to go, and study at that location.

13. Addison Bohler says:

I love how in the “Read, Rest and Repeat” section you talk about how important it is to read your textbook because it is great resource. Last semester I never read my textbook like I should and my grade was a reflection of it. This semester I am reading my textbook in a better fashion and my grades are a great comparison of the increase in my grade.

14. Faith G. Parish-Crockett says:

I could relate to the “Listen to Your Eyes” section of the article. I am a visual learner so most of the time I find ways to picture what I am trying to read. This section of the article however did close my doubts that I am doing the right thing by attempting to visualize my reading.

15. Rita-Belle says:

I really connected with the section “Location, Location, Locaion”. I usually read while listening to musc because I used to think that it would help me concentrate. When I read about thinking as if it a high-steaks situation really made me second guess how I read.

1. Feb 26, 2015

[…] Reblogged from Angelo State University’s Navigating Higher Ed blog: […]